Organic Gardens and Global Warming
A few days ago, I came across an article written by Dan Sullivan. He pointed out that your backyard organic garden may hold the key to preventing climate change.
As I mentioned in my last blog, All Purpose Landscaping, LLC is proud that we’ve incorporated “Phase One of our Eight Point Go Green Project in Canon City and Southern Colorado:”
Don't foget to clean your
• This season we will be using organic fertilizers and organic methods for pest and fungus controls
• Organic fertilizers releases slowly into the turf that helps ensure your lawn does not burn when fertilized
• Our new fertilization process also stops the fertilizer from running off curbs and gutters
• Instead of chemicals, we use mechanical methods such as core aeration and dethatching to promote healthy lawns and control fungus
• At All Purpose Landscaping, LLC (ALP) we use correct amounts of organic fertilizer, so lawns can outgrow most pest and disease problems
• APL regulates irrigation timers to our water smart program; adjusting sprinkler heads to ensure that we do not waste water, which drastically reduces your water bill and waste to the environment
• New scheduling software assists APL lower fuel waste and our carbon footprint being more efficient, so that you enjoy a lower cost and help our environment at the same time
• We demand the most sustainable products, so that sustainable becomes the demand.
The article I mentioned noted that researchers at the Rodale Institute have learned that organic soils trap atmospheric carbon dioxide, a major greenhouse gas, and convert it to carbon, a key component of healthy soil.
Mr. Sullivan said, “the recent findings suggest that synthetic nitrogen fertilizers speed up the decay process of organic matter so that it is released into the atmosphere as carbon dioxide rather than stored in the soil as carbon. Both plants and organic soils, the studies demonstrate, operate as powerful “sinks,” capturing the greenhouse gas considered by many scientists to be largely responsible for global warming.”
When you reject chemicals and choose instead to garden organically, expert, Dr. Pimentel says, you address other issues of critical concern by embracing a system that is much less reliant on fossil fuels. “This has implications for our dependence on imported oil and natural gas as well as the climate change problem,” he says. “You are preserving the soil and you are reducing the use of chemicals that are directly dependent on fossil energy use.” Don't forget to clean your air ducts.
The employees, and management at All Purpose Landscaping, LLC support our corporate responsibility, not only to our environment, but also to our potential and current customers. For more information regarding our commitment to and clean and green environment, call us. We’d enjoy talking with you about our “Go Green Project!”